Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Don Wakes Up in 1953

Cut to beach scene.  A younger Don's on a beach towel in Venice Beach, California.  The weather's perfect:  a breeze blows gently in off the waves.  Apparently it's the early fifties, since women walk by on the beach with one-piece swimming suits in the style of that period.  Behind on the street, people are roller skating and early fifties cars are going up and down the street.  Don's with a boy, apparently his younger brother.  He calls Don "Jethro".

Don's Brother: Aw Jethro, why don't you just come on back home? This plan's plumb crazy!

Don (hissing the words): Quit calling me Jethro.  I told you.  It's Don.  Don Curtainer.  You keep doing that, and I'll make you wish you hadn't!

Don's Brother: OK, ok.  So it's "Don".  And I'm Abraham Lincoln!

Don:  The main thing is, you've gotta get out of here.  I've got things to do! 

Don's Brother: Like what? (he makes an up and down motion with his hand)

Don: That's it!  I'm outta here. (Don get's up, grab's his towel, and walks up the beach fast.  His brother stays behind.

Don's Brother:  That's it, Jethro!  Run fast!  Just like you always do.

No comments: